Wednesday, February 5, 2014

For Zipper - Words from your Mom

(This is actually the eulogy that Rita wrote for the memorial we had for Zipper at one of her favorite park's on the Oregon Coast.)

Zipper I wanted you before I ever knew you, you were in my heart when I was a child and dreaming of a dog of my own one day. You were a concept of great anticipation, a statement of devotion, and proof that true love existed when it is so naturally hard to find.

You came to me in such a way that changed my being forever. You were a dream to me. The one day I walked in to a room full of puppies and saw you, at that moment you became a reality. You with this huge smile and wiggling butt full of excitement and love. Your eyes said you wanted to chew on everything and your energy said you were going to be a challenge and a couple handfuls... That didn't stop me, you and I both know I like a challenge.

You had your work cut out with me. You had to train me about fences. Just because a dog is 2 feet high doesn't mean they can't jump up and over a 5.5 foot fence. If you can't go under it, climb over it. A challenge is over come one paw in front of the other.

You had to train me about playing, because playing needs to be done more then just once a day. You are supposed to play all the time, enjoy your life mom because it is too short.

You trained me about how to spoil a dog, buying more treats and toys then what is really needed because something to look forward too is good incentive and allows for hope to live in your heart.

You trained me about unconditional, pure, and honest love. You can never have too much love so share it with big kisses, hugs, talking, crying, caring in anyway that you can.

You showed me that family goes beyond genetics because eye color and fur doesn't really matter.

You showed me that a grand entry happens even if someone only leaves for 45 seconds because that is LOVE and its better to focus on the time someone is IN your LIFE then the time in which they had to go.

You then showed me the hardest lesson of all. You showed me loss. You showed me that no matter how hard I will fight, how much money I spend to save you sometimes we have to say goodbye for now.

That loss is like the bones I find in the back yard. You find a way to save it for later because remembering is better then forgetting even if it is buried deep and people don't know where it is because they don't see it. The loss is still there but it is a good reminder of the LOVE that if was born from.

With you I gave my love, I pulled aside part of my food to share with you. I thought of how long I would be gone before I would even leave, I would rush home to see you, I would go to the store to get your treats when I hated to shop. I would watch you sleep, I would look for you if I didn't hear you make a noise. because I loved you too. I wasn't as great at it as you were about remembering the lessons you tried to teach me but I promise not to forget them.

You were more then a dog. you are my baby girl. Some people have kids, some people adopt their children. I am one of those people. I am an adoptive mom.

-Rita (Zipper's Mom)

No comments:

Post a Comment